View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 11:42

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
DD WRT help please 
Ready for take off

Multicopter Type: AR Drone V2
New post DD WRT help please
Hi Folks. I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to use my modified (DD-WRT) Linksys router as a repeater for my ar drone 2.0. Most of the instructions deal with linking (bridging?) two routers (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge) however I seem to recall reading that I can just use the one router for the job. Can anyone point me in the right direction for instructions. I seem to get lost when linking the drone (which I can see on the scan) and the iPad. Thanks in advance

David

29 Sep 2012, 07:47
Ready for take off

New post Re: DD WRT help please
See that the pairing option is *off*, if it works like this you can enable it back like this. The other router the documentation refers to is the drone itself. Make sure the router has a different IP than the drone (eg 192.168.1.100) and a different ssid.

30 Sep 2012, 00:05
Ready for take off

Thanks costing. Yes I had read that the drone becomes the second router but the configuration instruction escapes me as to how it applies to the drone. Maybe i am out of my depth. ;)

30 Sep 2012, 09:15
Ready for take off

You can start with the untouched drone, just turn its pairing option off and leave the battery plugged in, it has to be online for DHCP purposes.

On the router:
Setup -> Basic Setup
    Wireless setup
      STP : Disable
    Network setup -> Router IP
      Local IP Address : 192.168.1.100
      Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
      Gateway : 0.0.0.0
      Local DNS : 0.0.0.0
    Assign WAN Port to Switch : disabled

Wireless -> Basic settings
    Wireless Physical Interface wl0
      Wireless Mode : Repeater Bridge
      Wireless Network Name (SSID) : <the exact SSID of your drone>
      Network Configuration : Bridged
    <add a virtual interface from the Add button below the Physical interface settings then>
    Virtual Interfaces wl0.1 SSID
      Wireless Network Name (SSID) : <a unique name in your environment, I used the name of the drone network + something>
      Wireless SSID Broadcast : Enable
      AP Isolation : Disable
      Network Configuration : Bridged

Wireless -> Wireless security
    Security Mode : Disabled on both wireless interfaces (physical and virtual)

Wireless -> Advanced settings
    TX Power : the max allowed value, in my case it was default 71, max was 251, it should make a difference in range ...
    Bluetooth Coexistence Mode : enable it if you will use something like the PS3 controller over bluetooth

Wireless -> MAC filter (optional but recommended, do this when everything else works)
    Use Filter : Enable
    Filter Mode : Permit only clients listed to access the wireless network
    Edit MAC filter list : add here all MAC addresses of your devices (tablets, phones, laptops, whatever you use to access the router and/or the drone, you might need any of them later on ...)

This is just the official tutorial applied to the drone particular case, so please cross-check with the official instructions. Make sure you start from a clean configuration.

If it still doesn't work you can try to connect with a laptop to the router, with a fixed IP address like 192.168.1.3. Then open http://192.168.1.110 and see if that under Wireless -> Access point & Clients you see at least two MAC addresses:
Code:
MAC Address       Interface
<mac of drone >   eth1
<mac of laptop>   wl0.1

Then try to connect to the drone (ping 192.168.1.1 / telnet 192.168.1.1). If you get so far everything should be set up properly.

Good luck!

30 Sep 2012, 16:32
Ready for take off

Brilliant!!!! Worked perfectly, thank you soooo much! I can now see why people use a secondary router as the primary cant be an access point AND a repeater bridge at the same time.

I assume the wifi signal I see on my ipad (free flight) is actually the signal between my router and the iPad and doesn't reflect the signal between the drone and the iPad?

Anyway thanks again...If you are ever passing the Philippines I owe you a beer.

Ciao

D

01 Oct 2012, 08:05
Made it over nextdoor

Oztravels wrote:
I assume the wifi signal I see on my ipad (free flight) is actually the signal between my router and the iPad and doesn't reflect the signal between the drone and the iPad?

That's correct, so take care not to become delirious (and let your drone fly-away) seeing the "full bars" on your iPad!

;)

There's a new feature in ARDrone Flight for Android that purportedly provides the sig level for the Drone itself, but afaik no such thing is available for iOS devices.

01 Oct 2012, 13:31
Ready for take off

@Oztravels You can see the signal strength on the entry page of your DD-WRT, on the bottom of the page where the MAC addresses of connected devices are displayed. I don't know how the app will behave if put in background though ... I'll try on Android myself next time. So far I didn't manage to get out of its range so I was not curious to see how good the signal is, but now I am :)

Philippines is fantastic! Looking forward for the next occasion to visit ...

01 Oct 2012, 14:57
Newcomer

First off, let me say that this post was inspirational. Secondly, this forum has already helped me with two problems, ultrasound emergency and lack of range. Pure awesome. THANKS! Oh and also, I can confirm that the signal meter is corresponding to the drone on android OS.

02 Oct 2012, 20:49
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]