View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 17 Apr 2014, 16:27

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
AR Drone diagnostics tool 
Up and hovering

New post AR Drone diagnostics tool
Ar Drone diagnostics tool for Windows.
Fly, execute commands, plot graphs of over than 130 values contained in 20 tags delivered via full Navdata stream.
A few examples of operational and broken Ar Drone. Stream of perfectly operational Ar drone is included for test/comparison.

http://www.msh-tools.com/ardrone

13 Dec 2011, 03:02
Made it over nextdoor

New post Re: AR Drone diagnostics tool
good job!
i won't be using it as i'm on linux (so i already have the parrot sdk application which serves similar purposes) but i'm sure your tool will be useful for anyone who wants to learn more about the drone internal workings :geek:

13 Dec 2011, 14:46
Just flips over

This looks very good!!
Always wanted to compare my drone to other to see if it suffers from 'non visible' problems like motor overcharge due to bad props and others.
Will try asap.

14 Dec 2011, 01:57
Profile WWW
Battery Charged

This program is great. Thanks alot for making it! :D

19 Dec 2011, 15:29
Battery Charged

Got a quastion though. If i save a file of a 100 second flight, how do i open it? I cant open the file generated from "NavData stream" in the diagnostics main window in GRAPH window. Do i have to put in any AT commands to make the file record anyting or is everything recorded? What is a AT command BTW?

Cheers

19 Dec 2011, 15:46
Up and hovering

styralf wrote:
Got a quastion though. If i save a file of a 100 second flight, how do i open it? I cant open the file generated from "NavData stream" in the diagnostics main window in GRAPH window. Do i have to put in any AT commands to make the file record anyting or is everything recorded? What is a AT command BTW?

Cheers

1. Select "file" in a "steam source" radio group (main window). Use "Open" button in "NavData" window. To add data to the graph drag and drop corresponding field (control) to the upper-left "Drag and Drop NavData field" dropdown list. You may check this with the provided test stream.
2. It records full navdata steam, no AT commands needed.
3. AT commands are used to send commands to Ar Drone. See SDK reference for details.

19 Dec 2011, 19:17
Battery Charged

Thanks i got the graphs running now, its incredible how much easier it is to control the AR.Drone with the keyboard instead of tilting the smartphone! Got one last question though, is it possible to see the video from the onboard cameras in the program too? And if not how would you do to get the video streamed while running your program?

Best Regards

30 Dec 2011, 14:53
Chased the cat

Multicopter Type: AR Drone V1
Thanks for the great tool, Obelix! Just tried it myself to diagnose my drone after a minor motor issue.

A few thoughts:

* It's not at all clear to me how to pan and zoom in the graph. Left-clicking and dragging a box seems to zoom in, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to zoom back out. Panning with the right mouse button seems to work some of the time, but sometimes the scale along the bottom just says the same time over and over, and panning doesn't seem to work. I also got popups (something about "no data point" or similar regularly while trying to use the mouse buttons to pan or zoom.

* There is a LOT of data available that you're capturing, but except to an expert, it's difficult to tell what most of the variables are. Perhaps you could group a handful of key variables useful to beginners for diagnosing common problems on a single tab (say: altitude, heading, roll / pitch / yaw, engine RPM, engine temp if that's monitored [I'm not sure]), and give them friendly names? Maybe make that the default tab?

* There are a *lot* of tabs to choose from, and it takes quite a while scrolling between them with the arrow buttons. Perhaps a drop-down list of tabs would be quicker?

* The keyboard controls don't seem to function if the flight button pane doesn't have the focus. (Eg. I accidentally bumped the graph pane while my drone was flying, and then couldn't control flight while using the keyboard, until I first clicked on the flight button pane). Might be nice if they worked regardless of which pane had focus.

* I hit a problem whereby the altitude controls didn't seem to work, which caused me to hit my ceiling and crack the indoor hull in the process. (Not the end of the world, I have EPP tape and it was easily repaired). I was using the keyboard controls and the correct pane had focus; the Up control worked and my drone rose, but when I pressed the down button instead of descending, it rose more and hit the ceiling before I could react and press Shift to land. I was flying over an almost perfectly level surface (carpeted floor) and the only thing on the floor was the drone box to give a good target for the camera, so the altitude sensor shouldn't have caused the sudden climb. Likewise I wasn't close enough to the ceiling to cause a problem when I pressed descend -- it was still a good 4-5 feet above the drone at that point. It definitely happened at the moment I pressed the key to descend, and I definitely had the right key, so I can only assume that under some circumstances the wrong command can be sent to the drone.

Just a little feedback for you -- I'd love to see you develop this further, as it would be very useful to have a good diagnostic / telemetry tool for troubleshooting drone problems.

Oh, and one last thing, I haven't tried but was curious. Do you know if your program can read log files captured by Meavydev's ARDrone Flight on Android? (http://meavydev.co.uk/ARDrone.html) My desktop PC doesn't have wifi, and my laptop's screen is near-invisible outdoors, so it'd be great if I could capture logs of outdoor flight with my Android tablet, then view them in your app...

07 Jan 2012, 06:50
Just flips over

OK I have tested it finally. Great work obelix662000!
I had some trouble with the graphics also, but I think I need more time to see how it works.
I'm posting here a graphic of pwm for all motors, for a few seconds of take off, hovering, and landing. (no movement commands). It would be great if more ppl could post their result for comparison (with this or another graphic tool).
Also while in flight the drone seemed to auto-rotate counterclockwise a bit from time to time, need to check that again (every time I test a new app I fear if they didn't know about the LMS syndrome induced by an error in the 1.5 documentatio).
(Image cropped and scaled due to forum 900px restriction)

16 Jan 2012, 01:21
Profile WWW
Up and hovering

knoxploration
Thanks for the review.
1. To Zoom out just click left button at any point and make movement to the left-top (opposite movement to zoom in)
2. I have no idea what variables are, I use names similar to the ones used in SDK example.
3. May be
4. It's done intentionally, otherwise someone can accidentally send commands to the Drone.
5. Sorry about that, I'll double check this issue when I'll fix my Drone.
6. I don't know. The log file I'm using is just byte-by-byte sequence taken from Navdata link.

CTaddey
Thanks for testing. It would be great idea to collect data from different drones together with the streams and description of Dron's malfunctions (if any).
I don't think the program can do something to rotation etc, because it sends "pure" AT commands up-down-left-right with the parameters used in SDK examples. As far I remember LMS syndrome was related to improper handling of trim files in that firmware release.

19 Jan 2012, 04:36
Strange wobble

obelix662000 wrote:
Ar Drone diagnostics tool for Windows.
Fly, execute commands, plot graphs of over than 130 values contained in 20 tags delivered via full Navdata stream.
A few examples of operational and broken Ar Drone. Stream of perfectly operational Ar drone is included for test/comparison.

http://www.msh-tools.com/ardrone

I am an Apple man, so no good for me

19 Jan 2012, 19:27
Profile WWW
Chased the cat

Moonwatcher wrote:
obelix662000 wrote:

That's... interesting. Do you spend a lot of time replying to threads about things you can't and won't ever use? ;-)

20 Jan 2012, 02:19
Newcomer

knoxploration wrote:
Moonwatcher wrote:
obelix662000 wrote:

That's... interesting. Do you spend a lot of time replying to threads about things you can't and won't ever use? ;-)

Good point. Why don't us Apple people just keep our mouth shut so nobody knows we're out here? After all, if we keep posting on threads like this, someone might get the idea to write an app like this for Mac - can't have that! ;-p

20 Jan 2012, 11:52
Chased the cat

synthezoid wrote:
Good point. Why don't us Apple people just keep our mouth shut so nobody knows we're out here? After all, if we keep posting on threads like this, someone might get the idea to write an app like this for Mac - can't have that! ;-p

He didn't post "Please consider making a Mac version", he posted "This is useless to me because I don't have a PC."

If we all did that, the world would be filled with PC users whining about Mac programs not working for them, and Mac users whining about PC programs not working from them.

*inserts tongue in cheek*OK, truth be told, it'd mostly be Mac users whining, because you're in a tiny minority both in terms of user base and software market, and hence there's not many PC users wanting to run your software. But that's what you get for choosing to be part of a tiny minority. *removes tongue from cheek*

20 Jan 2012, 19:32
Up and hovering

Well, I'm also an Apple guy, and I'd like to politely ask if anyone has written such an application for the Mac OS? This would be awesome to try. Also, if anyone knows how I could run the windows application on my Mac that would work too. ;)

22 Apr 2012, 12:22
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next