View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 03:24




Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
AR DRONE 2.0 max payload? 
Author Message
Just flips over

Joined: 09 Sep 2011, 06:16
Posts: 67
New post AR DRONE 2.0 max payload?
Hi Guys

i was wondering if AR DRONE 2.0 had a better max payload ? coz i just got my goPro hero2 .. and as per my readings, the 1.0 can carry this undermounted but the drone gets pretty unstable and sluggish and i have to fly it w/o the indoor hull..

thing is, i wana kinda need to fly my AR DRONE (w/ goPro mounted) inside a MALL w/c has regulations that allows me to fly it as long as i keep the indoor hull .. i doubt that the 1.0 can ever lift or be stable w/ both GoPro and indoor hull on... im crossing my fingers that i can do this w/ 2.0 :(


Regards

TJ


12 Apr 2012, 11:29
Profile
Made it over nextdoor
User avatar

Joined: 05 Sep 2011, 03:04
Posts: 250
New post AR DRONE 2.0 max payload?
You could dump the camera battery and power the camera from the drone battery (through a regulator), this should save some weight.


12 Apr 2012, 13:25
Profile
Up and hovering
User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2012, 11:27
Posts: 123
New post Re: AR DRONE 2.0 max payload?
szuu wrote:
You could dump the camera battery and power the camera from the drone battery (through a regulator), this should save some weight.


Yes it would. Enjoy your 90-second flight.


12 Apr 2012, 15:53
Profile
Just flips over

Joined: 09 Sep 2011, 06:16
Posts: 67
New post Re: AR DRONE 2.0 max payload?
yeh and i weighed the battery it's not really that much weight savings for the huge energy trade off :(


12 Apr 2012, 16:16
Profile
Made it over nextdoor
User avatar

Joined: 05 Sep 2011, 03:04
Posts: 250
New post AR DRONE 2.0 max payload?
eballesq wrote:
szuu wrote:
You could dump the camera battery and power the camera from the drone battery (through a regulator), this should save some weight.


Yes it would. Enjoy your 90-second flight.

If the gopro battery can work for 2 hours but you only use 10 minutes (imposed by drone), then 90% of the battery weight is pure ballast, like if you attached stones to your drone, extra weight without any gain. Therefore, getting rid of the battery (or using a smaller battery) should increase the flying time.
Powering the camera from the main battery of course decreases the flying time, but how much power would be actually "stolen" in this scenario? Assuming the camera battery has 33% of the drone batt energy (single cell vs 3 cell), and gopro would use 10% of this energy (10 minutes out of 2 hours capacity), it only makes 3% of the drone battery capacity - (small) price for reducing a (small) ballast... I won't bet it would actually decrease or increase the flying time - but the stability should be better anyway.
It's a pity the battery is so lightweight, so the savings can't be huge, but it seems that it's similar to the weight difference of outdoor/indoor hulls, funny thing because the original question suggested that the outdoor hull+gopro is almost acceptable and the main problem is the indoor ("safe") hull.


12 Apr 2012, 17:28
Profile
Just flips over

Joined: 09 Sep 2011, 06:16
Posts: 67
New post Re: AR DRONE 2.0 max payload?
szuu wrote:
eballesq wrote:
szuu wrote:
You could dump the camera battery and power the camera from the drone battery (through a regulator), this should save some weight.


Yes it would. Enjoy your 90-second flight.

If the gopro battery can work for 2 hours but you only use 10 minutes (imposed by drone), then 90% of the battery weight is pure ballast, like if you attached stones to your drone, extra weight without any gain. Therefore, getting rid of the battery (or using a smaller battery) should increase the flying time.
Powering the camera from the main battery of course decreases the flying time, but how much power would be actually "stolen" in this scenario? Assuming the camera battery has 33% of the drone batt energy (single cell vs 3 cell), and gopro would use 10% of this energy (10 minutes out of 2 hours capacity), it only makes 3% of the drone battery capacity - (small) price for reducing a (small) ballast... I won't bet it would actually decrease or increase the flying time - but the stability should be better anyway.
It's a pity the battery is so lightweight, so the savings can't be huge, but it seems that it's similar to the weight difference of outdoor/indoor hulls, funny thing because the original question suggested that the outdoor hull+gopro is almost acceptable and the main problem is the indoor ("safe") hull.



hi szuu,
you make quite a good point there.. thanks very much. quick question, is there a battery that is smaller/lighter and has same power as the default batt on the drone? i dont mind spending some money on a really kickass lightweight battery to replace the drone's stock batts..


13 Apr 2012, 02:06
Profile
Made it over nextdoor
User avatar

Joined: 05 Sep 2011, 03:04
Posts: 250
New post Re: AR DRONE 2.0 max payload?
MojoTojo wrote:
is there a battery that is smaller/lighter and has same power as the default batt on the drone?

the energy density is very similar in all batteries used in the contemporary RC world, it's all li-ion or li-po batteries, same technology, same theoretical performance.
the parrot brand batteries are a bit heavier than "normal", because of the extra encasement, so yes, it is possible to buy a slightly better battery.

but the real game changer could be this - some day in the future...
Quote:
proponents of the technology expect lithium-air batteries to replace the lithium-ion batteries currently powering portable electronic devices. Lithium-air batteries have the potential to have 5-15 times the energy density of current lithium-ion batteries. Thus even the most conservative estimates indicate that a modern-day lithium-ion battery may someday be replaced by a lithium-air battery 1/5 the size or a lithium-air battery with a lifespan 5 times as long

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_air_battery


13 Apr 2012, 02:55
Profile
Just flips over

Joined: 09 Sep 2011, 06:16
Posts: 67
New post Re: AR DRONE 2.0 max payload?
wow.. that'll be the day..


i wonderwhat the battery incasement weighs? coz it's plastic only .. perhaps strip the encasement and tape the cells together?


13 Apr 2012, 04:19
Profile
Just flips over

Joined: 09 Sep 2011, 06:16
Posts: 67
New post Re: AR DRONE 2.0 max payload?
umm and getting back to the topic, does the 2.0 have improved payload capacity?


27 May 2012, 05:47
Profile
Strange wobble
User avatar

Joined: 20 Apr 2012, 21:30
Posts: 237
Location: Hampshire/UK
Multicopter Type: AR Drone V1 & V2
New post Re: AR DRONE 2.0 max payload?
also upgrade the battery to a lighter one (not hard nearly all aftermarket ones are lighter) which again will give you better flying times.
do as szuu has said and your away.
as for the payload capacity i wouldnt say its improved.
Parrot have not been designing the drone to carry things so there has been no research into the payload capacity.
However they have upgraded the motors slightly so in theory it should be capable of better payload capacity.


27 May 2012, 08:22
Profile WWW
Thinking of bearings

Joined: 04 Apr 2011, 23:01
Posts: 153
New post Re: AR DRONE 2.0 max payload?
MojoTojo,

The arDrone 2.0 lift pretty much exactly the same as the 1.0, same battery, same motors, same props... (nicer gear which is smoother yes but no real gain.)

I have flown it maybe 2-3 hours with GoPro and replayXD, without a doubt, the lighter and also skinnier replayXD flies better. as it is closer to COG.
The new total control concept with the iPad is fantastic, ideal for video shooting because you can keep a angle and slowly pan the camera. on top of that set the drone max tilt angle to some low value so it can not get a high speed which keep it stable and smooth for video.

Love the idea of after-market batteries, use a slightly smaller capacity and you may end up with maybe half the battery weight.

Here is the kicker, while flying the arDrone with the indoor body is going to be a stretch, flying in a indoor mall, is the single best place to pull that off as there is going to be virtually no wind and only very slow air currents in general.
The indoor mall scenario may actually also make the GoPro2 work for you, as outdoor you are likely to get jello from the GoPro2, the Gopro1 and the replayXD is far better outdoor on the arDrone in terms of jello. also the GoPro2 is the best night camera of the bunch, so you have a better chance of looking good indoors.

Hmm. thinking I should go grab the indoor hull and do a test. this might just work out of the box.

Just my 2 cents.




Bo

arDrone 2.0 GoPro mount http://www.shapeways.com/model/560889


28 May 2012, 02:56
Profile
Ready for take off

Joined: 02 May 2012, 22:45
Posts: 18
New post Re: AR DRONE 2.0 max payload?
drone wrote:
MojoTojo,

The arDrone 2.0 lift pretty much exactly the same as the 1.0, same battery, same motors, same props... (nicer gear which is smoother yes but no real gain.)

I have flown it maybe 2-3 hours with GoPro and replayXD, without a doubt, the lighter and also skinnier replayXD flies better. as it is closer to COG.
The new total control concept with the iPad is fantastic, ideal for video shooting because you can keep a angle and slowly pan the camera. on top of that set the drone max tilt angle to some low value so it can not get a high speed which keep it stable and smooth for video.

Love the idea of after-market batteries, use a slightly smaller capacity and you may end up with maybe half the battery weight.

Here is the kicker, while flying the arDrone with the indoor body is going to be a stretch, flying in a indoor mall, is the single best place to pull that off as there is going to be virtually no wind and only very slow air currents in general.
The indoor mall scenario may actually also make the GoPro2 work for you, as outdoor you are likely to get jello from the GoPro2, the Gopro1 and the replayXD is far better outdoor on the arDrone in terms of jello. also the GoPro2 is the best night camera of the bunch, so you have a better chance of looking good indoors.

Hmm. thinking I should go grab the indoor hull and do a test. this might just work out of the box.

Just my 2 cents.


I would not use any of these cameras for night. You need a lot of light to get a crisp image. Even with the low light feature that you can select with the go pro, its still very poor when the sun gets too low.

I will post a video up shortly of my go pro hd (version 1) with just some styrofoam 4 rubber bands 3 pieces of electrical tape and some wall mount tape made literally no vibrations. the degree of which was point at almost 30 degrees downward in R4, you can still see the rotors the engines slightly.



Bo

arDrone 2.0 GoPro mount http://www.shapeways.com/model/560889


I would not use any of these cameras for night. You need a lot of light to get a crisp image. Even with the low light feature that you can select with the go pro, its still very poor when the sun gets too low.

I will post a video up shortly of my go pro hd (version 1) with just some styrofoam 4 rubber bands 3 pieces of electrical tape and some wall mount tape made literally no vibrations. the degree of which was point at almost 30 degrees downward in R4, you can still see the rotors the engines slightly.

It does feel a a little heavier in the wind. with a lighter battery and the above housing removed, it is doable. i still had 11 minutes of run time on a bastens 1300


02 Jun 2012, 23:40
Profile
Thinking of bearings

Joined: 04 Apr 2011, 23:01
Posts: 153
New post Re: AR DRONE 2.0 max payload?
Totally agree, none of these cameras do nights, the goPro2 is the best at night, but not exactly high quality.

Can't wait to see some shots of your setup, sound like you have a great concept.


Bo


03 Jun 2012, 00:12
Profile
Ready for take off

Joined: 02 May 2012, 22:45
Posts: 18
New post Re: AR DRONE 2.0 max payload?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EszzVdMV1sw

I edited this video on youtube with just the trim. The quality is half of what is was thanks to youtube but just click it to 720p and it should be OK.

as you can see there is no vibrations translating into the camera from the drone. Mind you that it is a little gusty out and my drone wasn't liking the go pro with that combination. I am more than satisfied with the results. the only down side is that I have to have the camera recording as i mount it underneath the done (the record button is on top of the camera) and the Styrofoam wedge about must be flush on both sides. it takes roughly 2 minutes to get the camera situated just right and then away i go.

Total cost of my mount 3 bucks

4 rubber bands
some Styrofoam i found lying around the house (basically cooler foam style)
Some poster board wall mount sticky tape (roughly an inch in length)

And 2 feet of electrical tape attached as tight as i can get it without ripping it apart

* im running off a sr10000. roughly 130 feet in the air and 250 feet away at one point.. the highest ive gone so far with the go pro... ive hit almost 400 in height without the HD camera


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


03 Jun 2012, 20:47
Profile
Thinking of bearings

Joined: 04 Apr 2011, 23:01
Posts: 153
New post Re: AR DRONE 2.0 max payload?
@dgethis01 NICE... very clean. beautiful video and flying.!

There is a setting for the GoPro, so you can start it by pressing any button, I start mine by pressing the front button.


04 Jun 2012, 01:06
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



www.ARDrone-Flyers.com © 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013
Chris' School of Motoring