View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 10:38

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Cheaper Alternatives and Reviews. 
Strange wobble

New post Cheaper Alternatives and Reviews.
I like to think of myself as a fairly cheap guy, but I like gadgets so cheap and gadgets usually don't go well together. So after my purchase of the 2.0, I started looking at all the other stuff I would need to buy to aid my new hobby. After seeing the Cir Clip removal tool was $20, I decided I would like to find some alternatives that would work perfectly well, just cheaper.

So first off.

Cir Removal tool.

This tool is $3.75. Can be bought at any Auto Parts store, Walmart or even Home Improvement stores. Works perfectly for removing Cir Clips. The indentation on the end allows the tool to only contact the clip and the shaft is untouched, allowing you to push the clip all the way off, as opposed to using a knife or flat tool which will only push up to the shaft.

Next, Cheap #6 Torx.

I bought this from Lowes for $5.78 and it comes with the #6 as well as several other small sizes. Good thing is, it stores all of the bits in the handle so you can't lose them. They also sell a Philips and Flat Head screw driver set that is the exact same thing. They are small and easily fit in a bag or carry case.

I snapped off the nose of my 2.0 while accidentally flying sideways into a tree at a fairly high speed. I did a bunch of research and someone from another RC forum suggested Welders Brand Glue for the EPP foam. I found this at Lowe's as well, I got Two, 1oz tubes for $4.55. I glued the nose back on, glued it, taped it and left it over night. It cured extremely hard and it is completely clear, so where it squeezed out helps seal the crack and it is clear, so it is not noticeable. I feel that due to how hard it is, it has actually added some strength to the hull.

I am now looking for an alternative for a cheap case. Thought I'd love to have a Pelican style case. My first idea will be to check Thrift Stores for luggage that I can add the foam to. For me, $100 is too much for a carrying case, I just don't have the money. If not, I may be building one.

Please post some cheap alternatives and reviews of things that worked for you!

21 May 2012, 15:52
Up and hovering

New post Re: Cheaper Alternatives and Reviews.
Funny. I have that screwdriver (both torx and phillips).

What's the actual name of that circlip tool? I've seen pliers but nothing that looked like that.

21 May 2012, 16:03
Just flips over

Multicopter Type: AR Drone V1 & V2
AMEN to Cheap. I personally like to say I'm frugal.

21 May 2012, 16:03
Chased the cat

You like to think of yourself as a cheap guy?

Lol

21 May 2012, 16:38
Strange wobble

The tool is a "valve stem core removal tool" it's main purpose is to remove the core inside tire valve stems.

21 May 2012, 17:01
Strange wobble

Ok. Maybe "frugal" is a better word. Lol

21 May 2012, 17:08
Up and hovering

USMCGecko wrote:
The tool is a "valve stem core removal tool" it's main purpose is to remove the core inside tire valve stems.

Thanks!

21 May 2012, 17:49
Just flips over

For the case you're looking for, you've mentioned that $100 is too much, and I know the cheaper the better, but is there a $$ range you could offer?

21 May 2012, 18:19
Strange wobble

Id love to have the Pelican 1600 case, but at $140 bucks, it is too much. I am looking for a case, that will hold ALL of my AR.Drone parts, piece, tools, batteries, charger and Wifi repeater(when I get it) and anything else I may need. I think $60 would be feasible. Therefore I may just build one. Plywood is much cheaper.

21 May 2012, 19:09
Thinking of bearings

Multicopter Type: AR Drone V1
USMCGecko wrote:
I am now looking for an alternative for a cheap case. Thought I'd love to have a Pelican style case. My first idea will be to check Thrift Stores for luggage that I can add the foam to. For me, $100 is too much for a carrying case, I just don't have the money. If not, I may be building one.

Please post some cheap alternatives and reviews of things that worked for you!

Great ideas. Thanks
For a cheap "case", I use a 30 gal plastic tub instead. 1" foam from Hobby Lobby is cut out for the various shapes and batteries, etc. (I used a Dremel cut off wheel) and the foam glued to a piece of plastic sign board. The box holds my indoor hull on a board, the AR.Drone and batteries on another board, Mac Mod radio transmitter in its case that also holds spare batteries for it. The board the indoor hull mounts on is so large it fits in the tub at a 45 degree angle, with the AR.Drone board on top of it at a 45. In the void under the 45 degree is space for a replacement cross, all my tools, battery charger (with 12 connector for recharging from a car). Last Saturday I just picked up the tub and took the whole thing to a big RC fly-in and had everything I needed in case of a crash. I think it's more practical than just a AR.Drone in a case.
My next project is finding/making a backpack to carry the AR.Drone and basic supplies on my motorcycle.

21 May 2012, 23:23
Thinking of bearings

Check this case out, should fit the AR.Drone .http://www.harborfreight.com/17-3-4-quarter-inch-x-12-3-4-quarter-inch-x-5-3-4-quarter-inch-aluminum-case-35777.html

21 May 2012, 23:40
Strange wobble

Deanes, do you have a picture?

22 May 2012, 00:44
Strange wobble

Yellow boy, that may fit the AR.Drone but not my extras. But that seems like a good deal for what it is.

22 May 2012, 00:45
Thinking of bearings

Multicopter Type: AR Drone V1
USMCGecko wrote:
Deanes, do you have a picture?

Here are three of my box:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

22 May 2012, 03:29
Strange wobble

Exactly the same case i made mine out of and yes it will JUST fit the AR.Drone.

22 May 2012, 16:15
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]