View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 17:43

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
HELP please, problems connecting to AR AR.Drone 2.0 
Just flips over

New post HELP please, problems connecting to AR AR.Drone 2.0
hi,
I was hoping someone could help please. I'm having problems connecting to my AR AR.Drone 2.0 from my Andoid phone. Firstly, I'm an electronics engineer with a lot of experience of IT stuff too, but I'm having real problems with this and have messed around for over 2 hours at a time!

I just got my AR.Drone today, first and second times I powered up, connected and used it no problem. Since the it's been a PITA!

I've tried everything including power cycling the AR.Drone, reseting it, reseting my phone, turning wifi on/off/on, trying 2 different phones, trying 2 apps (AR free flight and AR AR.Drone flight), turning off all wifi in the house, putting my phone to flight mode etc etc. There are several stages where it falls over. Here are my issues;

WIFI settings, sometimes AR.Drone network says out of range, even though I can see it with the wifi analyser

When not out of range, I will try to connect, it'll just keep saying scanning, connecting, disconnected

If/When it finally connects, it'll say obtaining IP address, then drop out again.

If it ever obtains the IP address and actually connects, when I load free flight, the 'piloting' button is greyed out, when I click it, it says wifi not available, connect to your AR.Drone.

If this button ever works, it will go to the loading page then do nothing.

When I use AR AR.Drone flight, it just says 'waiting for AR.Drone nav data' and does nothing.

Very occasionally, after 2 hours or so, when the battery is nearly already run down, it will work. It'll connect and fly great. I can even power down, recharge the battery and it'll connect again fine. But then the next time, it's back to it's usual self, not connecting.

I've even tried to connect to it from my laptop, it either says 'waiting for network' or occassionally, 'obtaining IP address' then drops out again.

I've now sat for a total of nearly 5 hours today trying to connect, with about 30min of actual flight time, so not happy. This thing has not had any crashes of bumps, it just sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Could anyone please assist as I really want to use this wonderful machine.

Thank you

18 Jun 2012, 11:40
Just flips over

New post Re: HELP please, problems connecting to AR AR.Drone 2.0
well, I've just taken it outside a couple of times, about 100m away from the house and it connected instantly and worked fine (although it's night time here, so I had to use a torch on the ground for the autopilot!). I'm hoping it's something around the house affecting the connection. We have wireless CCTV cams and wireless alarms. Perhaps both are running on 2.4GHz, although our wifi works well enough. Fingers crossed, I will give it a few more tries outside tomorrow in the day light. I really hope it's ok as this thing is great.

18 Jun 2012, 13:31
Up and hovering

do you have a lot of other wifi traffic in the area? Sometimes that can interfere.

I don't know how to get around that but I know it's been mentioned around here. I'm in an area that has very little traffic but I also use a repeater/extender whenever possible. That may be a solution for you.

18 Jun 2012, 14:43
Just flips over

Thanks for your reply. There are no other wifi networks in range, I'm just hoping it's the cameras and alarm.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk 2

18 Jun 2012, 15:56
I've been hit!!

Multicopter Type: AR Drone V2
Wireless cameras and alarm... i bet my paycheck that's your problem... don't worry about it till you go and get a chance to get out in an open area

18 Jun 2012, 16:53
Strange wobble

DroneBonerStallone wrote:
Wireless cameras and alarm... i bet my paycheck that's your problem... don't worry about it till you go and get a chance to get out in an open area

I went to a party the other night and a friend there as his ipad2 with him i use my iphone and never had a problem with connecting to AR.Drone but he ipad wouldnt connect at all???

kind Regards
shaun

Sent from my Nokia 8810 using Tapatalk :)

18 Jun 2012, 18:03
Just flips over

I tried it about 200m in front of my house this morning and couldn't get a connection this time, so took it about 300-400m into a field away from any buildings and it connected ok, although once it lost the link from about 20m away and cut power and crashed, see my other post;

http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3268

worrying that it makes no attempt to land during a lost link and that the link is so fragile, that it's unable to send any commands what so ever in the presence of any other 2.4GHz signal. Makes me wonder how I can send 50mbps across my home wifi in the presence of RF cctv cams, alarms and other wifi networks, yet the AR.Drone is unable to send a single byte, to say LAND!!

19 Jun 2012, 10:54
Up and hovering

Sounds to me like you may have a bum AR.Drone.
Are you still within return period? I'd exchange it.

19 Jun 2012, 12:18
Strange wobble

groan wrote:
Sounds to me like you may have a bum AR.Drone.
Are you still within return period? I'd exchange it.

Or warranty if so send it back to parrot

kind Regards
shaun

Sent from my Nokia 8810 using Tapatalk :)

19 Jun 2012, 12:21
Just flips over

Exchange would be best as only had it 3 days so don't want to be without it and my cash for months!

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk 2

19 Jun 2012, 13:29
Up and hovering

Let us know how it is after you exchange.
I hope you get a good one! It's a fun device!

19 Jun 2012, 19:20
Just flips over

well, I've done a few more tests and I think the main issue has been my wireless CCTV cameras. With them on, I very rarely get a link with the AR.Drone. Their signal must extend 200m or so in front of my house as I sometimes struggle to get a link there too. Strange that my home wifi works fine up to 50mbps, but can't get any link with the AR.Drone. They must be doing something wierd.
With the CCTV off, I get a link nearly 100% of the time and have flown it in-doors with no issues.
Outdoors, I'm still a bit nervous as I had one time when the motors were cut due to losing the link and this issue about it not landing (and hence being blown away in any breeze) when the link is lost has me worried. Even if the height is set to 3m, you still can't physically reach it! I've also read a lot about people's drones suddenly taking off.

I put all of these questions to Parrot and got a quick reply. Unfortunately, the guy must have been a politician because he said a lot of nice words, but didn't actually usefully answer any of my questions, just saying that fly aways were caused by the wind.

21 Jun 2012, 03:35
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]