View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 09:28

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
How to un-pair a AR.Drone 2 
Made it over nextdoor

Multicopter Type: AR Drone V2
New post How to un-pair a AR.Drone 2
I asked about this in another thread but maybe this will get more attention: it seems the AR.Drone 1 had a pairing switch (for un-pairing I think) but the D2 has no such switch afaict. Does re-pairing now occur automatically i.e. whatever connects to it first after power-on is the "preferred controller"?

I understand the AR.Drone "locks-on" to one controller such that no other device can wrest control away from your AR.Drone/controller pair. But I don't know if this is a AR.Drone-specific feature or maybe a general Ad Hoc feature--I've never used an Ad Hoc network before to my knowledge.

11 Aug 2012, 16:29
I've been hit!!

New post Re: How to un-pair a AR.Drone 2
AR.Drone 2 pair and unpair is in the settings menu after selecting pilot mode

11 Aug 2012, 16:40
Made it over nextdoor

So it's that simple: link-up using FreeFlight, turn pairing OFF, then access with whatever-you-want.

It makes me wonder if I did the testing right with the Repeater I was fiddling with the other day, cuz if this was set to ON then my AR.Drone was likely talking only to my iPad and not the repeater at all.

I got my new EnGenius yesterday but the Geniuses at EnGenius made both their Repeater and their Antenna with female connectors, so I hafta buy a Male<-->Male N-adapter before I can try the bloody thing. Ok I guess that's the right way to make them, to assume an inter-connecting cable, but I wish their documentation had been clearer about these things.

Thanks DBS. Hey I expect you're gonna spend all next week working on our behalf w/your new Hawking! Lead the way buddy!

:D

11 Aug 2012, 18:00
I've been hit!!

The waiting is driving me insane... I did the whole balancing routine the other day and got it flying perfect... and now I'm literally sitting on my hands trying not to fly so I don't mess anything up before it gets here... and of course... the last three mornings have been completely windless and clear... dammit :roll:

11 Aug 2012, 18:31
Just flips over

Multicopter Type: AR Drone V1 & V2
MaxFlyer wrote:
I asked about this in another thread but maybe this will get more attention: it seems the AR.Drone 1 had a pairing switch (for un-pairing I think) but the D2 has no such switch afaict. Does re-pairing now occur automatically i.e. whatever connects to it first after power-on is the "preferred controller"?

I understand the AR.Drone "locks-on" to one controller such that no other device can wrest control away from your AR.Drone/controller pair. But I don't know if this is a AR.Drone-specific feature or maybe a general Ad Hoc feature--I've never used an Ad Hoc network before to my knowledge.

Pairing was only really necessary when the v1 AR.Drone used an ad-hoc network. It has no effect on which program can control the AR.Drone. And I believe it is an obsolete feature aimed at anyone using a v1 with old firmware.

11 Aug 2012, 19:54
Made it over nextdoor

DKS207 wrote:
Pairing was only really necessary when the v1 AR.Drone used an ad-hoc network. It has no effect on which program can control the AR.Drone. And I believe it is an obsolete feature aimed at anyone using a v1 with old firmware.

Izzat right? The 2.0 manual still talks of Pairing. I thought the 2.0 did also connect with only one MAC at a time--in fact I was counting on it with the simple repeater I have here. Otherwise I don't know what the AR.Drone wouldn't try to respond to both the Repeater signal and the iPad signal both, get confused, and crash & burn.

My thought was: Simple Repeater is configured to repeat the ardrone2 signal, the AR.Drone locks-on to the Repeater's MAC, then the iPad only comms with the Repeater.

Isn't this the way the SR10000 works, given afaik that it has just one radio?

11 Aug 2012, 23:45
I've been hit!!

Just remember to "forget" the AR.Drone's address op your iPad so the iPad doesn't try to jump to that WiFi if the AR.Drone gets too close...

I saw a thread where a guy connected to the AR.Drone with his iPhone and while he was flying his wife connected with her iPad and was watching the video feed and was able to record it... I can't for the life of me find that damn thread

12 Aug 2012, 00:21
Just flips over

Hey I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. I know for a fact that only one device can control the AR.Drone at a time but more than one device can view the video broadcast through any of the control apps.

12 Aug 2012, 00:24
I've been hit!!

I just tried it with two androids... connected with my droid bionic and started free flight... hit "piloting" and left it on video feed... then I was able to connect with my Nexus 7... hit "piloting" and it just gets stuck loading there... can't get two video feeds from one AR.Drone

12 Aug 2012, 00:29
Made it over nextdoor

DroneBonerStallone wrote:
I saw a thread where a guy connected to the AR.Drone with his iPhone and while he was flying his wife connected with her iPad and was watching the video feed and was able to record it... I can't for the life of me find that damn thread

That would seem to shoot-down the "pairs with one MAC only" idea wouldn't it. But then why would it be in the v2 manual. Bah.

We have a couple iPhones and an iPad and an iPod Touch; I suppose I should do my own testing...

Now I see yr post about Androids DBS--geeze man don't crash your AR.Drone ahead of getting your repeater, at least not on my account!

:shock:

But you're the guy who spent an Hour in a Home Depot parking lot saving another Droner from himself. Good man!

:mrgreen:

12 Aug 2012, 00:33
I've been hit!!

Hey... that guy saw me in Dunkin Donuts parking lot this morning and his wife bought me Coffee and Donuts and Cigarettes from the gas station next door... :shock:

They kept followin me around asking questions about my AR.Drone and she wouldn't let me pay for anything... good folks them two...

Oh and I ain't breaking anything before that repeater comes... I wasn't flying I just connected to see what would happen... (and my big toe on a drive gear in case it decided to take off) :lol:

12 Aug 2012, 01:14
Made it over nextdoor

DroneBonerStallone wrote:
I just tried it with two androids... connected with my droid bionic and started free flight... hit "piloting" and left it on video feed... then I was able to connect with my Nexus 7... hit "piloting" and it just gets stuck loading there... can't get two video feeds from one AR.Drone

Thanks a lot for that. I just did my own testing with my iPad and an iPod, and it matches-up with yours DBS. Leaving Pairing OFF in FF (maybe that's default, iirc I've never touched it) I first connected with the iPad as usual, then I tried connecting with the iPod, and while I was able to link-up with the WiFi (it gave me 192.168.1.3 instead of .2 which was the iPad) and PILOTING was lit in FF, when I attempted to connect it went to LOADING... and never connected.

I turned-off the iPad and tried to connect w/the iPod but it wouldn't, though it did readily connect to the iPod after re-powering the AR.Drone. Once again, I was not able to connect with the iPad when the AR.Drone was connected to the iPod. I never tried turning Pairing to ON--not sure what that would do if anything. But it seems that two connections to the AR.Drone are not possible, so maybe that thread you saw with the "control on one and video on the other" was from an earlier firmware i.e. maybe Parrot changed something so there couldn't be conflicts. I wish they'd give us a complete Release Notes for firmware!!!

Next I inserted my Airlink one-radio Repeater into the picture, and connected using the iPad, and once again I was able to get WiFi with the iPod, but I couldn't connect (LOADING...). Interestingly, I unplugged my Repeater when the iPad was connected, and I immediately got a "Control Link Not Available" on the iPad indicating it was indeed talking only to the Repeater despite that the AR.Drone was sitting right there. But now I was able to connect using the iPod w/o re-powering the AR.Drone iirc. Maybe if Pairing had been ON the AR.Drone would have been locked-down, I dunno. Didn't think of this at the time.

So for me the function of the PAIRING option in FF is still clear-as-mud but at least it seems anyway that the AR.Drone is too smart to be confused by two controllers.

When our two-radio Repeaters arrive, life should get a little simpler as we both will be setting-up a separate SSID for our controllers to connect to.

BTW while connected with FF thru my one-radio Repeater, I left my house and walked 200ft to my garage porch, and I had full bars showing on FF if the iPad was more-or-less vertical and "aimed" at the house. If I tilted the iPad to flat i.e. 90deg, the FF indicator dropped to one bar. I do strongly suspect that many of the problems folks have had with crashes can be owed to comm problems when these antennas change orientation between one another.

I do NOT know if the "half-bandwidth" represented by a one-radio Repeater operation results in control issues or not (apparently a lot of folks are enjoying good success with them), but I decided it was excuse enough to buy the EnGenius. Can't have too many toys!

;)

12 Aug 2012, 18:45
Made it over nextdoor

Today I fiddled with the PAIRING option (on Page 1 of the settings) which AFAICT defaults to Off, and when placed to ON it does no longer connect to any other controller. This is as expected and in accordance with the user guide. A 2nd controller (in my case an iPod, where I'd used my iPad to turn Pairing ON) will see the ardrone2 wifi SSID, but will never connect to it.

What this means to me is that I will have to turn Pairing OFF in order to use my new Repeater. What is not clear to me yet, is whether with Pairing OFF and with my Repeater connected to ardrone2, when I set Pairing back to ON in FF, will the AR.Drone pair with my iPad or will it pair with the Repeater? It seems to me that it would be desirable to have the AR.Drone pair with the repeater's MAC so there's no chance the AR.Drone would pair with any other device than the Repeater.

But I'm probably now over-thinking the whole issue! :o

13 Aug 2012, 21:24
Up and hovering

Hi there I don't think your over thinking its a good topic of discussion

Ther are two possible types of pairing

1. Would be wireless mac address lock
2. DHCP lock to mac address so that only the 'paired' device gets the .1 ip address

To me the ar AR.Drone would work how other wireless routers work as in that it's mac locking the wirless so only 1 device can connect to the wireless - if this is the case then it would need to be paired with the wireless repeater.

If it uses both methods you won't get an ip address on your if iFlying device so u may need to set a static ip address to .1 when u connect to the repeater

In all honesty I would just turn pairing off - if some one is going to try and gain access they will get a .2 ip address and they still won't be able to do anything as u need a .1 to control the AR.Drone which is already in use (however just thinking now I wonder what happen if 2 had .1 address (ie some one setting to a static address) - the routing table on the ar AR.Drone would still have urs as the assigned dhcp address so it shouldn't cause issues (unless u had to set a static ip address on ur iPad (then u may need to add some wireless security on the repeater) - might be a good test (when I find time amongst work and life lol)

13 Aug 2012, 21:48
Made it over nextdoor

stealthmatt wrote:
...they still won't be able to do anything as u need a .1 to control the AR.Drone which is already in use...

stealthmatt I'm not really concerned about anyone taking-over my AR.Drone, but I do want my Repeater setup to be reliable so I don't have to worry about settings too much, or about the AR.Drone getting confused about "which WiFi signal do I respond to".

Indeed where this all started for me was with this question: if I insert a simple Repeater into my setup, how does the AR.Drone know to look only for the Repeater signal and not get confused with the iPad's? Because the iPad signal is still there, and "see-able" by the AR.Drone when in range, just at a lower signal level. My testing yesterday seemed to indicate that the AR.Drone was "locked" to the Repeater, because FF on iPad showed "lost signal" when I unplugged the Repeater and this didn't go away despite that the AR.Drone was right nearby and powered. And since the simple signal Repeater I was using has no separate IP of its own, that says to me the AR.Drone had locked to its MAC address.

13 Aug 2012, 22:28
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next