View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 22 Dec 2014, 20:45

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Drift HD Camera 
Up and hovering

Unread post Drift HD Camera
I see lots of stuff on the internet using a GoPro camera; I've also seen the smaller, lighter (and cheaper) variety of cameras, but the video samples don't impress me. So I looked to see if anyone was using the Drift HD camera with the AR; can't find anyone reporting on using it on the AR. Has anyone in the group tried it? I'm not sold that the GoPro, with it's weight and size, is the best solution for me and the AR. The best comparison test I saw made the point that with each you give up something, but since I'm looking at a single purpose unit and not the overall versatility of the GoPro, I find it hard to accept the weight and size. Thoughts?

26 Dec 2011, 23:46
Newcomer

Unread post Re: Drift HD Camera
Just got the Drift 170 camera and velcroed ut to the AR.Drone. It flies! Lift more dificult, AR.Drone goes dows if left hovering. Will try outside tomorrow.

30 Dec 2011, 07:02
Up and hovering

Cool, let us know. I'm surprised at the handling difficulties, GoPro is 168g, Drift Stealth is 138g, with viewfinder. Here's an article comparing the two:

http://www.articlesbase.com/extreme-spo ... 12926.html

Is yours mounted on top or bottom of the AR? I'm favoring the bottom, pointing down a little.

Love to see some footage with the Drift. . .

30 Dec 2011, 09:16
Chased the cat

Multicopter Type: AR Drone V1
bluntnose wrote:
Cool, let us know. I'm surprised at the handling difficulties, GoPro is 168g, Drift Stealth is 138g, with viewfinder.

That weight includes the GoPro's removable housing, which folks don' t typically fly with. Some fly unprotected, others with the lens cover, but not the case. Body-only with battery, the GoPro is only 94g. That is a *lot* lighter than the Stealth, but still approaching the AR.Drone's payload limit, especially if you're running any other mods that add weight...

31 Dec 2011, 00:46
Up and hovering

That info might be a deal-breaker for me, as far as the Drift goes. I'd already concluded I would go for the Drift HD, which is 25% smaller and lighter than the HD170 Stealth, at about 118 g, but that's still heavier than the GoPro weight, per your info. And I can't find the Drift HD for less than about $369, even more than the new GoPro Hero2. Finally, looking at the few direct comparison videos on the web showing both cameras (GoPro H2 and the Drift Hd) side by side, convince me that the GoPro video quality is still marginally better than Drift, if only in color saturation. So, though the new Drift HD is I believe smaller than the GPH2, that consideration can't outweigh the others.

Still, the Drift lens that swivels is nice, and the accessory hookups appear to be better than the Hero. Rage-something sells several alternate lenses for the Drift HD, which is a real attraction for me. And the simple on-board viewfinder is great. If the video quality was even equal I'd bite the bullet and pay the cost differential for the Drift, since the weight's only negligibly more than the Hero2.

Since I have no hands on experience with either camera, I'm open to being corrected in any of these conclusions.

signed,
Drifting towards a Hero

31 Dec 2011, 09:27
Strange wobble

Just be aware that you will be pushing the limits of the AR AR.Drone trying to fly with either camera. Putting the camera on top greatly reduces stability while putting in on the bottom requires landing gear mods to avoid the legs.

31 Dec 2011, 19:31
Chased the cat

I'm a way off from buying a camera myself, as I have things higher up the wishlist (MacGyver mod, principally), but I've done a little research and probably the most interesting camera I found was the Replay XD1080 (http://replayxd.com/replay-xd1080-camera/).

It's a little lighter than the GoPro (85 grams loaded and ready to shoot), and the shape is more conducive to bottom-mounting (only 1.1 inch diameter and 3.6 inches long, so I'm thinking it'd probably mount reasonably well with only a slight extension to the AR.Drone's legs, for a forward-facing, slightly downward-tilted view underneath the AR.Drone's body.

Not sure what cutting EPP is like, but it strikes me that it might work nicely if you could cut a core out of the rear of the AR.Drone's lower body, where there doesn't appear to be any cabling or electronics, and mount it angled inside the body itself. Only ~$50 down the drain for the body if it didn't work. ;-) Image quality seems similar to the GoPro HD, and video modes are likewise similar although there's no 120fps mode. Price is about the same, as well, and the design looks more rugged to me than the GoPro.

Alternatively, you could go the cheap route with a keychain cam (these seem particularly popular: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 0776698380), or with Hobbyking's HD Wing Cam (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=17200).

These are vastly cheaper, smaller, and lighter than the GoPro, should be much easier to mount and have far less effect on handling and flight time, but they're also less well made and have far worse video quality. (They're billed as being HD, but frankly the samples I've seen look more like upsampled VGA. Still light years better than what you can get by recording the AR.Drone's built-in cam, though.)

31 Dec 2011, 22:23
Strange wobble

If you have it touching any part of the foam shell, the vibrations will create a jello effect. Whatever mount you do has to be soley mounted to the bottom plate or the battery tray.

01 Jan 2012, 00:45
Chased the cat

Thanks, I was wondering if perhaps the EPP foam itself might provide some damping effect... If the EPP foam isn't enough to provide damping, then the Replay XD1080 doesn't look like such a great option compared to the GoPro.

On checking, it turns out my assumption about size was wrong. The GoPro's a bit smaller than I remembered, 1.6" x 2.4" x 1.2", so the ReplayXD although lighter is actually quite a bit bigger. To be fair, most of the volume is in its length. The frontal area would only be about two square inches versus 3.84 square inches for the GoPro, so it should provide less wind resistance to forward flight. If you want the ReplayXD tilted downwards, though, then it's going to stand prone from the AR.AR.Drone's body more than the GoPro would at the same angle, because they're both the same height, but the GoPro's nowhere near as deep.

Seems like the ReplayXD might still be a better choice if you want to mount with it facing directly forwards (probably easier to mount that way, too -- wouldn't take much more than a couple of zip ties, versus a custom mount), but if you want an angled downwards view, the GoPro's going to be a much better choice.

Delkin also have a GoPro competitor that claims to be lighter, although I've yet to see a spec state that their weight includes battery and flash card, or show it to have any kind of lens protection with the underwater housing removed. If it's really lighter and the lens can be protected, it might be an alternative to the GoPro, although video quality didn't seem as good in the clips I watched (where the Replay XD1080 looked pretty darned close to the same quality as the GoPro.)

Rolling shutter is still the big issue for all of these cameras, though -- I can't understand why none of the manufacturers will make a CCD-based action cam, when CCD-based digicams with 720 or even 1080 HD video aren't exactly rare.

01 Jan 2012, 02:41
Strange wobble

There has to be a good reason and I think it has to do with the optics required for CCD dictate a minimum size which is perhaps why camcorders have standardized on a particular size and form factor. On the other hand, PC mount sensors really just need something to protect the sensor.

01 Jan 2012, 03:51
Up and hovering

So apparently the new AR AR.Drone 2.0 sports an HD camera? Anybody got any intel about the video quality of that camera? As much as it bugs me that within 3 months of me dumping about $500 into the AR.Drone and parts they're coming out with a brand new one, the 2.0, it would bug me worse if I bought the Hero2 camera and it turns out that the new one has an equal camera. <sigh> Guess I'll wait for the news to trickle in.

Wonder if they'll bump the price for the new toy. . .

05 Jan 2012, 08:06
Newcomer

Unread post Drift HD Camera
Its better zu buy a Gaui quadflyer instead of buing parts like motors, mainboards, navboards , etc.... I habe spend over 700 Euro in parts for the AR.Drone... Now flying Gaui and beeing happy! ;)

05 Jan 2012, 11:02
Chased the cat

bluntnose wrote:
So apparently the new AR AR.Drone 2.0 sports an HD camera? Anybody got any intel about the video quality of that camera? As much as it bugs me that within 3 months of me dumping about $500 into the AR.Drone and parts they're coming out with a brand new one, the 2.0, it would bug me worse if I bought the Hero2 camera and it turns out that the new one has an equal camera. <sigh> Guess I'll wait for the news to trickle in.

Wonder if they'll bump the price for the new toy. . .

MSRP price listed in the leaked article was unchanged, so no, it looks like the price is exactly the same. And THAT is what bugs me -- I'd have no problem with it if Parrot were launching the new one at a higher price, or if they'd gradually lowered the AR.AR.Drone 1.0's price at the end of its sales life, but it appears they're doing neither. People who bought the AR.AR.Drone 1.0 at the end of its life pay the same as people who buy the significantly upgraded model just weeks later, and that to me is wrong.

05 Jan 2012, 18:23
Strange wobble

You don't KNOW that the price of the 1.0 wont be lowered. All we have is a leaked release that is scheduled for next week. It is certainly within the realm of possibility that the 1.0 price will be lowered along with the 2.0 announcement. It also only states that it will be available in Q2, it did not say April 1st. Q2 is a 3 month spread and since Q2 start is 3 months away, we are likely looking at a good 5 months before it comes out.

05 Jan 2012, 22:01
Chased the cat

KerryG wrote:
You don't KNOW that the price of the 1.0 wont be lowered. All we have is a leaked release that is scheduled for next week. It is certainly within the realm of possibility that the 1.0 price will be lowered along with the 2.0 announcement. It also only states that it will be available in Q2, it did not say April 1st. Q2 is a 3 month spread and since Q2 start is 3 months away, we are likely looking at a good 5 months before it comes out.

Wow... Did I say I knew it wouldn't be lowered?

The fact is, it hasn't been lowered before the announcement was made, when Parrot new that a significant number of people would be buying drones for Christmas (and indeed, they were pushing sales for Christmas).

Whether or not the price is lowered after the announcement is completely irrelevant. People who bought after the announcement know a new product is coming, and can choose whether or not to wait for it. People who already bought right before the announcement (and some of whom had specifically asked Parrot if a new version was coming, without answer) have no such opportunity.

06 Jan 2012, 01:13
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next