View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 10:24

Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next
How to extend ar drone wifi range using wifi router (b/g) 
Ready for take off

New post How to extend ar drone wifi range using wifi router (b/g)
NOTE :

this thread idea come from one of our expert member MAPGPS & his/her friend kapejod , one of his/her post in http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=374 , MAPGPS explain how to connect ar drone as a wifi client to your access point, you can also see kapejod blog in http://www.kapejod.org/2010/08/parrot-ar-drone-linux-internals/#comments

All the Credit goes to MAPGPS & kapejod

my tutorial is using mac as a base, if you using windows try to find application / program that can do "telnet"

what im gonna do is, explain briefly how to extend your ar drone wifi range using an Access Point (AP) or AP Router , as you know the AR Drone wifi range is limited to 50 meters which caused people cannot play hide & seek in large area or fly as high as possible, its also usefull to prevent your AR Drone to fly away uncontrollable, as we know there are many people lost their Ar Drone when playing outdoor

with the use of AP you can extend the range up to 150 - 200 meters depends on you AP power

DISCLAIMER :

Please do at your own risk, im not responsible if you brick your AR Drone because you do the step not carefully, im just a member who like to share some KNOWLEDGE

what you need :

1 unit AR drone
1 unit AP (access Point) / AP Router with B/G capabilities
1 unit pc or mac to program the ar drone using telnet

how to program AR Drone

1. make sure turn off the wifi of your iPad/iPod/iPod touch
2. unpair the ar drone by push the button below the ar drone
3. open your mac/pc and search ar drone using your wifi tools, and make sure you connected to ar drone
4. open terminal aplication and type "telnet 192.168.1.1" without quote
5. type this command below

Code:
iwconfig ath0 mode managed essid YOUR SSID; ifconfig ath0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up; route add default gw 192.168.1.254

NOTE :

change YOUR SSID with your AP SSID (case sensitive)
192.168.1.1 is your ar drone ip address, DO NOT change it because the current AR Drone apps in the Appstore doesn't support other ip address

192.168.1.254 is your default gateway or your ip address of your AP , ATTENTION some of wifi router default ip address are also 192.168.1.1 (linksys, ddwrt, tp-link etc) you will need to change it to 192.168.1.254 & turn off the DHCP Settings, please check the router user manual to do it correctly

6. after completed step no 5, please disconnect your pc/mac from your ar drone wifi & connect your pc/mac to your AP network
7. to test the new ip of AR Drone is already work properly you can open new Terminal window on your mac/pc and type "ping 192.168.1.1" without quote or "ping YOUR AR DRONE IP ADDRESS" if you see something like this
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=4329 ttl=64 time=7.379 ms that's mean you're already success connected your ar drone to your AP network
8. now turn on wifi on your iPad/iPod/iPhone and connect to your AP Router & CHANGE the ip address to use static ip 192.168.1.2 netmask : 255.255.255.0
9. open your favourite AR Drone Apps , my favourite is Drone Control, you should already connected to your AR Drone using your AP network
10. congratulation, you've just extended your AR Drone range upto 200 meter =)

ADD ON :
how to save the config file on your AR Drone

A simple way to create file /data/ap.sh directly on AR.Drone:
Inside the Telnet window:
# cat > /data/ap.sh

Then type 3 command lines below, and end with Ctrl-D (press key "Ctrl" with letter "D")
Code:
iwconfig ath0 mode managed essid YOUR SSID
ifconfig ath0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
route add default gw 192.168.1.254

You can check the contents in file /data/ap.sh:
# cat /data/ap.sh

Change the file runable:
# chmod 755 /data/ap.sh

to run it:
# /data/ap.sh

FAQ :

Q : i want to play AR Pursuit can i use only 1 AP for 2 AR Drone?
A : No, you must use 2 AP, because the ip address of your drone is always 192.168.1.1 , if you connect 2 AR Drone into 1 AP it will crash the network

Q : what type of AP should i use ?
A : you can use any AP or AP Router as long as support b/g wireless

Q : have you tried this before?
A : No, i only tried to connect my AR Drone to my AP but cannot control the Drone, because i changed my AR Drone ip address, that's why i didn't succeed, but believe me if you do the step one by one carefully this method will WORK

Q : why i should trust you?
A : is up to you to trust me or not, but actually im experienced with the wireless network because, i own an internet cafe & we connect the internet using wifi network

Q : why you didn't try it first
A : now its 1:32 AM in the morning and its a new year eve, i just have this idea instantly, maybe i will try it tomorrow :D

Q : how to reset default to original ar drone setting?
A : just plug off the battery for 1 minute and plug it in again , you will reset the setting to original ar drone factory default

Q : i want to play my ar drone outdoor, but the AP Router need AC Power to power it on, do you have any aolution
A : actually you can buy power inverter in your local electrical store, it will convert DC to AC Current, plug the power inverter to your car cigarette lighter & plug the AP adaptor in to it, place the AP Router on your car hood & you're ready to play

Last edited by bimo2700mf on 09 Jan 2011, 15:27, edited 7 times in total.

31 Dec 2010, 19:36
Profile YIM WWW
Just flips over

New post Re: How to extend ar drone wifi range using wifi router (b/g
bimo2700mf wrote:
NOTE :

this thread idea come from one of our expert member MAPGPS , one of his/her post in http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=374 , MAPGPS explain how to connect ar drone as a wifi client to your access point

All the Credit goes to MAPGPS

my tutorial is using mac as a base, if you using windows try to find application / program that can do "telnet"

what im gonna do is, explain briefly how to extend your ar drone wifi range using an Access Point (AP) , as you know the wifi range is limited to 50 m which caused people cannot play hide & seek in large area or fly as high as possible, with the use of AP you can extend the range up to 150 - 200 meters depends on you AP power

DISCLAIMER :

Please do at your own risk, im not responsible if you brick your AR Drone because you do the step not carefully, im just a member who like to share some KNOWLEDGE

what you need :

1 unit AR drone
1 unit AP (access Point) with B/G capabilities
1 unit pc or mac to program the ar drone using telnet

how to program AR Drone

1. make sure turn off the wifi of your iPad/iPod/iPod touch
2. unpair the ar drone by push the button below the ar drone
3. open your mac/pc and search ar drone using your wifi tools, and make sure you connect to ar drone
4. open terminal aplication and type "telnet 192.168.1.1" without quote
5. type this without quote "iwconfig ath0 mode managed essid YOUR SSID; ifconfig ath0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up; route add default gw 192.168.1.254"

NOTE :

change YOUR SSID with your AP SSID (case sensitive)
192.168.1.1 is your ar drone ip address, you cannot change it because the apps in the Appstore doesnt support other ip address
192.168.1.254 is your default gateway or your ip address of your AP

6. after taking step no 5, please disconnect your pc/mac from your ar drone wifi & connect your pc/mac to your AP network
7. to test the new ip of AR Drone is already work properly you can open new Terminal window and type "ping 192.168.1.100" without quote or "ping YOUR AR DRONE IP ADDRESS" if you see something like this
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=4329 ttl=64 time=7.379 ms thats mean youre already success to connect your ar drone to your AP network
8. now turm on wifi on your iPad/iPod/iPhone and connect to your AP
9. open your favourite AR Drone Apps , my favourite is Drone Control, you should connect to your AR Drone using AP network
10. congratulation, you just extend your AR Drone range upto 200 meter =)

FAQ :

Q : i want to play AR Pursuit can i use only 1 AP for 2 AR Drone?
A : No, you must use 2 AP, because the ip address of your drone is always 192.168.1.1 , id you connect 2 AR Drone into 1 AP it will crash the network

Q : what type of AP should i use ?
A : you can use any AP as long as support b/g wireless, mine is using Apple Time Capsule, you can use your own AP

Q : have you tried this before?
A : No, i only tried to connect my AR Drone to my AP but cannot control the Drone, because i change my AR Drone ip address, thats why i doesn succeed, but believe me if you do the step one by one carefully this method will WORK

Q : why i should trust you?
A : is up to you to trust me or not, but actually im experienced with the wireless network because, i own an internet cafe & we connect the internet using wifi network

Q : why you didnt try it first
A : now its 1:32 AM in the morning and its a new year eve, i just have this idea instanly, maybe i will try it tomorrow :D

Q : how to reset default to original ar drone setting?
A : just plug off the battery for 1 minute and plug it in again , you will reset the setting to original ar drone factory default

i can´t belive it, thx mate,can i use a router wifi? or is just for access point? because i dont undertand if the ar drone must conect to the router or the router must conect to the ar drone?

Last edited by murdock on 01 Jan 2011, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.

01 Jan 2011, 03:29
Ready for take off

im sorry to not provide detail explanation, i havent tried with AP only, please use WIfi Router Access Point, post your result here, if you have any trouble me and other members would happy to help

01 Jan 2011, 03:35
Profile YIM WWW
Just flips over

bimo2700mf wrote:
im sorry to not provide detail explanation, i havent tried with AP only, please use WIfi Router Access Point, post your result here, if you have any trouble me and other members would happy to help

i can try it because i got 2 ar drone and 1 dont fly but,work everythings, and can u tell me the procces? is the ar drone conect to the router or the router conect to the ar drone?

01 Jan 2011, 03:38
Ready for take off

Murdock wrote:
bimo2700mf wrote:

i can try it because i got 2 ar drone and 1 dont fly but,work everythings, and can u tell me the procces? is the ar drone conect to the router or the router conect to the ar drone?

here's the simple diagram

AR Drone =====<>====== AP Router (as a relay signal booster) ===<>==== iDevices (iPad/iPod/iPhone)

the router act as middleman, so AR Drone & iDevices can connect each other but with such greater distant, because the AP Router has bigger tx/rx power, for best result try using AP Router with MIMO or High Power such as Buffalo , Linksys or Belkin

if you want to connect 2 AR Drone you must have 2 AP Router, because the AR Drone Apps default ip address is 192.168.1.1 & until now can't be changed

UPDATE :

i think you can also use Access Point only, but please change the gateway to the AR Drone ip address not the ip address of AP, in theory they should work (use ip 192.168.1.1 as the gateway)

01 Jan 2011, 03:53
Profile YIM WWW
Strange wobble

Murdock wrote:
bimo2700mf wrote:

It is the AR.Drone connects to the WiFi Router AP, and the AR.Drone is assigned a static IP 192.168.1.1. So all hosts (PC, ipad etc.) on the AP's WiFi network can access your AR.Drone using server IP 192.168.1.1.

Thanks bimo2700mf for the detail guidelines, it would be great help to others.
One comment to your step 7:
The IP mentioned should be AR.Drone's IP 192.168.1.1, instead of 192.168.1.100.

Multiple WiFi APs can be used to further extend the WiFi range with AR.Drone roaming access.
Refer to:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=720

01 Jan 2011, 04:10
Ready for take off

Quote:
The IP mentioned should be AR.Drone's IP 192.168.1.1, instead of 192.168.1.100

thanks for the correction, i have fixed my tutorial hehehe

01 Jan 2011, 04:15
Profile YIM WWW
Strange wobble

bimo2700mf wrote:
NOTE :
this thread idea come from one of our expert member MAPGPS , one of his/her post in http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=374 , MAPGPS explain how to connect ar drone as a wifi client to your access point

All the Credit goes to MAPGPS

It must give the Credit to kapejod, I got the idea from his Blog:
http://www.kapejod.org/2010/08/parrot-a ... /#comments

I have discussed a lot of AR.Drone internals/hacks with kapejod there.
You can visit his Blog for more useful info.

01 Jan 2011, 04:43
Ready for take off

Quote:
It must give the Credit to kapejod, I got the idea from his Blog:
http://www.kapejod.org/2010/08/parrot-a ... /#comments

I have discussed a lot of AR.Drone internals/hacks with kapejod there.
You can visit his Blog for more useful info

ive added kapejod credit

01 Jan 2011, 04:49
Profile YIM WWW
Just flips over

New post How to extend ar drone wifi range using wifi router (b/g)
MAPGPS wrote:
Murdock wrote:
bimo2700mf wrote:

It is the AR.Drone connects to the WiFi Router AP, and the AR.Drone is assigned a static IP 192.168.1.1. So all hosts (PC, ipad etc.) on the AP's WiFi network can access your AR.Drone using server IP 192.168.1.1.

The IP mentioned should be AR.Drone's IP 192.168.1.1, instead of 192.168.1.100.

Multiple WiFi APs can be used to further extend the WiFi range with AR.Drone roaming access.
Refer to:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=720

Ok thx, Im trying right now with the router, I will tell u how it's works.
Ty

01 Jan 2011, 12:20
Ready for take off

good luck, im thinking to buy a portable wifi router that have great power & easy to cary so we can put the router on the car hood while playing the ar drone outdoor

01 Jan 2011, 12:25
Profile YIM WWW
Ready for take off

Would be quite easy to write an app on the PC to do this for you.. It would be a case of..

connect to drone wifi..
start app and click a button (this would log into your drone and configure via telnet the correct settings.
connect to normal wifi again.

Would save a bit of messing.

Steve

01 Jan 2011, 12:59
Profile WWW
Just flips over

I have a problem when I try to connect via telnet to the drone ar gives me an error (Cannot connect via port 23) but if I try to telnet 192.168.1.1 80 connects perfect, it can be done on port 80?

Pd: im trying with a router wifi 3com like Ap i hope its works :)

01 Jan 2011, 13:18
Ready for take off

Murdock wrote:
I have a problem when I try to connect via telnet to the drone ar gives me an error (Cannot connect via port 23) but if I try to telnet 192.168.1.1 80 connects perfect, it can be done on port 80?

please describe :

what os do you use ? pc or mac & dont forget the application name

in my opinion, as long as you can change the parameter, thats should be okay

note :

please dont turn on your wifi password, you can do that later...
to checke whether the ar drone successfully conected to AP, connect your pc/mac to the associated AP & try ping to 192.168.1.1

01 Jan 2011, 13:24
Profile YIM WWW
Strange wobble

Murdock wrote:

I guess you fotgot to change your router IP to other IP like 192.168.1.254

"192.168.1.1 80" your tried is actually your router's Web server.

01 Jan 2011, 13:28
Reply to topic   [ 538 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next