View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 12:12

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
12V, 1.3aH Lead Acid Battery 
Newcomer

Multicopter Type: AR Drone V2
New post 12V, 1.3aH Lead Acid Battery
Hi All

Just got my AR AR.Drone 2.0 and from the outset was a but disappointed with two things:
1. The FreeFlight iOS app not being available - had to settle for an old version where video is not working
2. Very short battery life.

I can't do much on point 1 - 'cept to wait, but was wondering if it is advisable to try flying the AR.Drone with a cheap mini lead acid battery I picked up.

It's a bit heavier and larger than the battery that comes with the AR.Drone, but I'm not sure if I will damage the AR.Drone electronically?

Also not sure if Lead Acid batteries can handle the rapid discharge?

Anyone tried this?

I saw other threads where individuals tried to run the AR.Drone tethered from 12V LA batteries, but cannot seem to find any good guidelines for what rating on these batteries is safe for the AR.Drone's electronics?

21 Mar 2013, 16:29
Ready for take off

New post Re: 12V, 1.3aH Lead Acid Battery
I really don't think that battery will work in your AR.Drone and I wouldnt risk it.. This battery is $12.25 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html
and works fantastic. Change the connector on the AR.Drone or make an adapter and you are good to go!

21 Mar 2013, 17:22
Ready for take off

No, the lead battery will not work, and will be too heavy for the AR.Drone. daniel san is right - get the Turingy nano-techs and a charger for them. Or get a new 2000 mAh Parrot battery (but be prepared for a long charge time).
Also, 10 minutes of flight time is a normal, decent result for a RC electric aircraft this size. People who fly electric RC planes and helis know that that's about the flight time you should expect from today's battery packs.
But keep your lead acid, it will be perfect for powering a WiFi signal extender in the field, and believe me, you'll want one soon.

21 Mar 2013, 18:30
Serious flight time

Multicopter Type: AR Drone V1 & V2
AR.Drone Control is a better app than Free Flight and it's only $6 in the app store. If you have an android device ARDF Pro is the way to go. Both of these are miles better than Free Flight.

21 Mar 2013, 19:56
Newcomer

Thanks for the replies - my main problem is that I am in South Africa - so it is rather difficult to get hold of the decent batteries like the Turingy, not to mention quite a bit more expensive. Unfortunately, it also looks like Amazon does not stock these batteries - else I could have bundled it with something else to make the shipping costs less of a factor.

Are there any other good alternatives that Amazon would stock - including the chargers you would recommend?

Appreciate your input!

22 Mar 2013, 07:13
Serious flight time

Multicopter Type: AR Drone V1 & V2
Hobbyking has al kinds of batteries and the pricing is low. Shipping can take a while from what I've read, but they have local warehouses in different ares to speed things up.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... t+is+empty" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

22 Mar 2013, 17:21
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]